Thursday, March 21, 2013

Butch, Femme, and Ke$ha sing it together now: We R who We R

I have told my story in a previous blog, but the last half of this blog is really relevant to conversations I've been having with some wonderful people in my life. I hope this tale sheds some light on the path of your own journey, gives you a place to refer when making judgements about someone else's identity, and provides you with peace to rest in your perfect "youness".


For me, coming out was a lot like this:
“You? Really? I mean… you don’t LOOK like a lesbian.”

Even my gay friends didn’t take me seriously. I thought I wasn’t “lesbian enough”. I hated it. I hated myself- for not fitting in, for not being “gay enough”, for not being taken seriously. So I did what I thought I had to do: I cut my hair, took off my nails, traded my skirts for cargo shorts, my diamonds for neck ties, and my lipstick for chapstick. I figured the only way anyone would believe me is if I looked the part. I arrived on the scene of my new life as a brand new woman- even I didn’t recognize her- but there was no mistaking this chick for a dyke. And it felt great. Except for the part where I didn’t know myself anymore.

At that time, all of the lesbians in my life either IDed as butch or bore no label at all. Each of them were what I call 100 footers (yes, I’m citing The L Word here). I knew none of the mythical creatures referred to as “lipstick lesbians”, I wasn’t even sure they existed. I knew it was where I’d fit, but I needed to be accepted in the community.

Allow me to clarify- I have never been butch. I didn’t spend a single second claiming that ID; I never felt it in my core; I merely hid behind a disguise: the disguise that I believed would *out* me, without the discomfort of the conversation mentioned above.

Then one day, while living in Portland, Maine, I met a few of the illusive ladies who identified as femme. Femme- probably the most beautiful word I had ever heard- it sounded like music; it lit a fire in my soul; it reminded me of the girl I had hidden away from the world; it gave me the courage to be. Femme…

I realized that no matter who I had transformed into on the outside, my insides had always been femme. I embraced the true Lori again. That weekend, I did everything I could to connect with that girl I had suppressed so deeply. And I had no idea what a struggle it would be.

I am again invisible as a lesbian. I’ve grown very accustomed to coming out. I’ve been completely out for nearly 9 years, but I still come out almost daily. I have done it so many times; it has become part of my getting-to-know-you speech. I have claimed a femme identity with pride for many years now. While it hasn’t always been easy, it has always been worth it to know myself fully.

I recently read an article that sent my blood boiling- it stated that femmes tailor their appearance to capture a man’s gaze. Absurd! The identity of femme is enveloped beautifully in our queerness. The author was a lesbian. That infuriated me. It reminded me of times that I have gone into the local gay bar and been stared at, shunned, and disregarded because I’m femme. This is my community, too, bitches!

On the flip side, there are femmes who haven’t exactly welcomed me into the fold; perhaps because I’m not femme enough for them. I am not high-femme; I do occasionally leave the house without make-up, in jeans, in sneakers, with a ponytail. That doesn’t make me less than, though these ladies (and I use the term loosely) might beg to differ.

I have discussed this topic with a few of my partners along the way (most of which ID as butch/stud), and have learned that my own plight is not unlike their own. I have heard things from them like, “I wasn’t butch enough because I know how to sew.” Or “She said I’m not really butch because I like to be fucked.” Or “I’m not butch enough because I date other butches.” I call bullshit.

Butch and femme are not only about personifying 100% traditional masculine/feminine roles. Hell, I plunged my own toilet this morning- I can assure you I am no damsel in distress. It is about who you are, how you feel about yourself, what makes you comfortable in your own skin. And those are not things someone else can determine for you.

So I say to you, my femme sisters: You are femme in your heels or sneakers. You are femme in a dress or jeans. You are femme in a ponytail or in full make-up. You are femme because that is who you are. I accept you, I do not judge you, and you are beautiful. PS: you are welcome in my femme-club any day.

And to my delicious butches, I say to you: You are butch whether you are working on a motorcycle or cooking dinner. You are butch even if you have long hair. You are butch whether you are stone or you like getting fucked. You are butch whether you bind your chest or not.  You are butch because that is who you are. I accept you, I do not judge you, and yes- you, too, are beautiful. Feel free to send me photos in your best necktie- it’s my favorite thing!

And to the rest of you: What does a lesbian look like? She looks like me. She may look like you. She may have tattoos and a Harley and shoot whiskey. She may have false eyelashes, amazing cleavage, and sip Cosmos. She may be any combination of that. She may be none of those things. Sometimes the dust jacket doesn’t reveal all that is the amazing book inside. Sometimes you just have to start reading to find out. And I, for one, am a pretty amazing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment